Story: Mahalia Jackson
Skill: Main Idea and Details
The main idea is the most important idea about a topic. Sometimes the author tells you the main idea. Sometimes you must figure it out for yourself. Supporting details tell more about the main idea.
appreciate - think highly of; recognize worth of
barber - person whose business is cutting hair and shaving or trimming beards
choir - group of singers who sing together, often in a church service
released - published, performed, shown, sold
religious - devoted to the belief, study, and worship of God or gods
slavery - custom of holding people as property of others
teenager - person between 13 and 19 years old
Friday, January 29th - 3.4 Skills Test
Grammar Skill: Troublesome Verbs
Some pairs of verbs are confusing because they have similar meanings or because they look alike.
Lay means “put” or “place”.
Lie means “rest” or “recline”.
Set means “put something somewhere”.
Sit means “sit down”.
Let means “allow”.Leave means “go away”.
Friday, January 29th - Troublesome Verbs TEST
Spelling Skill: One Consonant or Two
Thursday, January 28th - 3.4 Spelling Menu DUE
Thursday, January 28th - 3.4 Spelling TEST
Mrs. Maddox's Supply List
Due to COVID-19, students will not be allowed to share supplies this year. It is important that students have their own supplies.
Student Supplies (These will be kept in student's backpack.)
- (1) 2 inch three-ring binder (this will be used for all classes)
- Pack of 8 dividers (this will be used for all classes)
- Wide-ruled, loose-leaf notebook paper (NO spiral notebooks)
- No. 2 pencils (mechanical pencils are okay for this year)
- (1) Hand-held pencil sharpener with a case to catch shavings
- Assignment Book (this can be purchased at the DPES supply store)
- Multi-colored highlighters
- Glue Sticks
- (1)Composition notebook
- (1) Student or Pocket Dictionary
- (1) Three-prong folder (to be used for our counselor)
- Latex-Free Disposable Gloves
- (2) paper towels
- (1) Kleenex
- (3) Reams of white copy paper (NO Target brand)
- (2) Reams of colored copy paper
- (3) Clorox wipes
- (2) Hand Sanitizer
(These are not required, but they will help out immensely in our classroom!)
- HP 63 Ink (black and multicolored)
- Glade Plug-In refills
- Laminating Pouches (9" x 11.5")
- Donations for copies ($11 will purchase 1,000 copies for our class)
Faulkner University - BBA (2003)
Faulkner University - Master of Education, Elementary (2018)
2020 - present - Daniel Pratt Elementary School, 5th Grade Reading & Language Arts
2018 - 2020 - Prattville Intermediate School, 6th Grade Language Arts